The Minnesota Genealogical Society (MGS) is sponsoring a genealogy conference, “TechTrek,” to be held April 25-26 at Hennepin Technical College in Brooklyn Park.
While the deadline may have passed for advance registration, you can still sign up at Hennepin Technical College on the day of the conference. Registration for the Friday evening program starts at 6:00 p.m. on April 25, and registration for the Saturday conference starts at 8:00 a.m. on April 26.
Here are the costs of on-site registration:
Friday only: $20
Saturday only (includes lunch): $50
Friday and Saturday (includes lunch): $65
Some conference highlights include:
- Four talks by genealogy technology guru, Thomas MacEntee – one Friday evening and three Saturday: You Use WHAT for Genealogy?, Building a Research Toolbox, Managing Your Genealogy Data, and Google for Genealogists.
- Friday evening technology demos featuring the Legacy User Group, Family Tree Maker software, portable scanners (wands and FlipPal), and software for Macintosh.
- Saturday conference featuring 20 breakout sessions in seven tracks: social media, genealogy databases, image management, genealogy websites, ethnic websites, finding printed materials online, and geography/mapping tools.
- Exhibit tables featuring a dozen societies and genealogy vendors to browse, including genealogy books, charts, and quickguides from Maia’s Books.
- The opportunity to bid on Silent Auction items including genealogy services and more.
- Lots of fantastic door prizes including memberships to GenealogyBank, findmypast.com, Ancestry, and other great websites; MHS passes; courses from the National Institute for Genealogical Studies (NIGS); and more.
BONUS! Even if you register at the door, you’ll receive a free voucher for an online NIGS course. This makes the conference a real bargain! Available choices are Google for the Wise Genealogist, Connecting Family: Online and Virtually, and Social Media Tools for the Wise Genealogist. You must be present at the conference Saturday to receive your course voucher. More details will be included in your registration packet.
See the MGS website for more details about the conference: http://mngs.org/.