Brian Mitchell continues to work painstakingly to make more Irish genealogy records available. His latest databases have been uploaded – in partnership with the Derry City Council – to Rootsireland.
Here are brief descriptions of the new census substitutes:
- The 1628 Rent Roll of Londonderry (153 leaseholders);
- Defenders of Derry during the 1641 rebellion (90 officers and 815 soldiers);
- Willamite supporters, 1689-1691 (1660 names);
- Derry petition signers, 1696 (226 citizens);
- Leaseholders in the Walled City, 1738 (110 names);
- Jailed “criminals” awaiting transport to Australia, 1839-1856 (191 men and women);
- Derry Almanac “heads of household”, 1921 (8367 householders).
Detailed information about the history and contents of these records can be found in this Derry Journal article: www.derryjournal.com/news/new-derry-genealogy-databases-now-online-1-6613311
Paper documents exist but how long it would take to find them! And at what great cost!
Rootsireland records cover all of Ireland, not just Derry. Rootsireland is now solely a subscription-based service. One can subscribe for 1 month, 6 months or 12 months; a one-month membership costs $28 (US). Check it out: www.rootsireland.ie/