If your ancestors came from County Offaly, you’ll want to read an Irish Central article entitled “5 things you didn’t know about your Offaly ancestors,” written by Niall Cullin in partnership with Findmypast.
County Offaly was known as King’s County while Ireland was under British rule. Here are more family history facts found in the article:
- The five civil registration districts located in Offaly are Edenberry, Mountmellick, Parsonstown, Roscrea and Tullamore.
- The Offaly landscape is very boggy so many of those who lived there were involved in the peat and turf industry.
- The King’s County Directory, 1890, is an excellent source for historical research.
- County Offaly is best-known in the U.S. as the home of President Obama’s ancestors, who came from the village of Moneygall.
- Some common family names in Offaly are Dunne, Lynan and Egan.
The full story can be read here: www.irishcentral.com/roots/5-Things-you-didnt-know-about-your-Offaly-ancestors.html
Don’t forget Findmypast’s special offer of a one-month World subscription for $1. Get it here: www.findmypast.com/irish-central-offer