What a great title! It was the subject of an exceptionally helpful blog by Donna Moughty.
Follow her advice – based on Elizabeth Shawn Mills’ principle of identifying your ancestor’s FAN club (friends, associates, neighbors) – and you may be able break through your brick wall.
- Follow your ancestor(s) in every census
- Look at every similar surname in the neighborhood and anyone living in your ancestor’s household
- Review church records, even if not online
- Research each marriage witness and baptism sponsor
- Analyze neighbors – did they emigrate together?
Read Moughty’s blog posting, while you still have free (St Patrick’s Day) access to Irish research websites: www.moughty.com/blog/dont-forget-the-collaterals.html.